Photo Competition: Czech-American? Zoom In!
The Embassy of the Czech Republic invites Czech-American individuals, schools, businesses, and organizations from around the United States to submit a photo of what it means to be Czech-American to them in order to join in the 2018 celebrations of 100 years of Czech Independence.
These photos may depict people enjoying Czech food and drink or watching their favorite Czech sports star compete. They may include Czech products, such as technology, cars or bikes, or even toys, being put to the test. They may also incorporate Czech books, films, theatre, and language as well as permanent symbols such as signs, statues, memorials or murals. The photos should demonstrate Czech-American inspiration, heritage and pride. The Czech Embassy is seeking originality; photos may portray Czech connections as well as abstract ideas.
Special note: While the Czech Embassy remains staunchly proud of Czech heritage, it is not seeking to collect photos strictly of people dressed in the national costume (kroj). Hence, such photos will, of course, be accepted, but the Embassy is looking for photos representative of Czech culture and life past and present.
THE BEST PHOTOS
The Embassy of the Czech Republic reserves the right to judge, select, and print the submitted photos, which it deems best within its discretion. The Embassy will display and/or project said best photos via an exhibition within its premises during the month of May 2018. The opening of the exhibition will be during the Embassy’s annual open house on Saturday, May 12, from 10am-4pm. Each year, nearly 4,000 people visit the Embassy’s open house. The Embassy will notify the authors of the photos in the exhibition of their selection.
The Embassy of the Czech Republic further reserves the right to publish and post any of the submitted photos on its website at www.mzv.cz/washington
as well as the Embassy’s social media. Said photos may not be published elsewhere without written permission from the Czech Embassy. Photo credit will be duly accredited to each and every photo whenever it is published or displayed.
SUBMISSION OF MATERIALS
● Digital photos must be sent to the email address at firstname.lastname@example.org
, no later than March 31, 2018. For larger files, please send via dropbox. Only one photo may be submitted per individual, school, business, or organization.
● Please put “Photo Competition” in the subject line and include a one sentence description of the photo’s Czech-American inspiration, heritage and pride as well as the location of where the photo was taken. Please include your first and last name and contact information for each individual, school, business, or organization.
● High resolution photos preferably in JPG format are very much appreciated. For smart phone photos, please submit at the highest quality possible.
100 YEARS OF CZECH INDEPENDENCE
The year 2018 marks one hundred years since the founding of an independent and sovereign democratic nation-state for the Czech people. To learn more, please visit www.czechindependence.org.
CZECH-US INSPIRATION AND FRIENDSHIP
The Czech Republic’s anniversary underscores a centennial milestone in the independence of a democracy as well as its founding inspiration in American values and ideals, such as a representative government and the separation of church and state. In recent history, the inspiration has continued when America opened its arms to former US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, Oscar-winning director Miloš Forman, tennis legend Martina Navrátilová, and Ivana Trump, just to name a few. Czech-Americans celebrate their heritage locally through their love for delicious kolache, savory Czech beer, the sounds of Antonín Dvořák or Polka, and gymnastics in Sokol. Meanwhile, in the United States Capitol, a bust of Václav Havel, only the fourth foreign leader represented, sits, a powerful message of mutual respect and belief in human rights, justice, and freedom.
TERMS OF SUBMISSION
• All photos, text, and other content or information submitted to the Embassy of the Czech Republic shall become the property of the Embassy of the Czech Republic, and the Embassy shall have no obligation to preserve, return, or otherwise make available any photos or information so submitted.
• The individual, school, business, or organization understands that because the Embassy of the Czech Republic becomes the owner of all submitted photos and descriptions, the Embassy of the Czech Republic and its diplomats, employees, successors, and assigns may use, reproduce, edit, display, transmit, modify, publish, and otherwise make use of the submitted photos and descriptions in any and all internet and media outlets, without compensation of any kind to the individual, school, business, or organization.
• By submitting any photo, text, or other content or information to the Czech Embassy, the individual, school, business, or organization hereby represents and warrants that the submitted photo and description does not infringe on any copyright or trademark, any rights of privacy or publicity of any person, or any other right of any third party. The individual, school, business, or organization hereby represents and warrants that it has the right to transfer the photo and description to the Embassy of the Czech Republic free and clear of any claims or encumbrances.
• The individual, school, business, or organization hereby agrees to hold the Embassy of the Czech Republic and its diplomats, employees, successors, and assigns harmless from and against—and hereby waives any right to pursue—any claims of any nature arising in connection with the Czech Embassy’s use of the submitted photos and descriptions.